Thursday, October 30, 2014

Street View!!

   Most of you know how much I love maps, and if you follow the blog, you also may remember about Google Streetview's rough start in Indonesia with the Google Street View car involved in some hit and run accidents, among other things.

   Much of the work is done for our island, and Street View went live about a month ago.  So I thought it would be fun to show you some of our favorite places via Google.   Just click on the links, and it should take you straight to the Street View page.  Look around and have fun exploring...

Morning Run (click here!): This is close to our house and is the road I jog on in the mornings.  Usually there aren't as many clouds in the mornings, and you get a great view of the mountains and volcanoes to the north.

Heading out west:  When I'm heading out to water projects on the western part of the island, I usually stop here for a break.  This is a scary road with lots of accidents, so I like to take it slow.  The bulls in the statue commemorate the big bulls ridden by extremely brave men in wild races in West Bali every year.

Good Eats: This is Dekade.  It's close to our house and probably one of our favorite places to eat.  Great Indonesian-Chinese-Balinese food.

Traffic: This is not one of our favorite things.  Explore this area to see how crowded the streets are...

Pertigaan: Pertigaan just means a three-way intersection.  This is located really close to our house.  On the left you see our market, Pasar Agung (the great market).  Notice the offerings in the middle of the road.

Liberty Shipwreck: while this is not technically Street View, we still love this place.  An American ship from WW2 ran aground here and eventually ended up sliding into the ocean following the eruption of Mount Agung.   Stepping out of the ocean, this is one of the driest areas of Bali, lots of needs here for water...

On the Edge

     A few things about Kaelen... she is smiling and goofy and silly all the time, EXCEPT for when anyone is taking a picture.  Then she...