Monday, September 09, 2013


After a long day of hiking up to water sources or wrestling goats, nothing quenches your thirst quite like drinking straight from a freshly picked 'young' coconut.

Young coconut still has lots of water inside it and the edible parts on the inside aren't too hard yet.  It is one of my favorite drinks here in Bali.  It's called kelapa muda in Indonesian or simply kuud in Balinese.

The tough thing about kuud is that if you want to drink it, you have to be willing to go up and get it.  I have tried to climb a palm tree, but I made it about three feet up.  I was too scared and too weak to make it any higher than that.

Recently I was delivering some goats to our friend that helps us raise goats, and his dad offered me some kuud.  I thought he had already some at his house, so I accepted the offer.  I didn't realize that his dad would have to go climb the tree...

About 10 minutes later I was walking from one goat pen to the other and I hear some rustling up in a palm tree.  I look up, and about 45 feet up in the air is my friend's 64 year old dad, getting coconuts for 32 year old me.  I felt pretty guilty, but I'm not gonna lie... I enjoyed the drink.

Can you see Pak Wayan in the photo on the left?

On the Edge

     A few things about Kaelen... she is smiling and goofy and silly all the time, EXCEPT for when anyone is taking a picture.  Then she...