Thursday, November 03, 2011

Wellcome in island of happie and joyness: correct spelling and grammar is optional

Here in our city of Denpasar, there are many attempts by all kinds of people, companies, and government agencies to use the English language.  It's trendy and cool to use English.

There also happens to be a plethora of advertisements, billboards, posters, stickers, Tshirts, etc with either misspelled English and/or really bad grammar.  I could fill up this blog with funny and ridiculous examples.

On a recent visit to one of Denpasar's shopping malls, we came across this puzzling reference...

Now I understand that there are no actual misspellings or bad grammar in this picture.   However, Kristi and I were struggling to see the connection between "sophisticated fashion style" and "Mississippi".  With all due respect to the great state of Mississippi (I've driven through it several times), I would not necessarily say it is the symbol of all things stylish, fashionable, and/or sophisticated.

But just remember, it is in English, so it is still "cool"...

On the Edge

     A few things about Kaelen... she is smiling and goofy and silly all the time, EXCEPT for when anyone is taking a picture.  Then she...