Friday, October 02, 2009

In the Round


Had an interesting experience several weeks ago... Kristi, Jaiden, Kenan, and I all went up to a ceremony for a village leader's new baby. It was in the area that we are doing water projects. It was nice. Kristi sat with the ladies and talked; Jaiden ran around, played in the dirt, and looked at the pigs; Kenan (Made Kenan) got carried around by a lot of different people and was constantly fed all kinds of unhealthy snacks.

After the ceremony, the men sit in a circle, drink a coconut beverage, and sing songs from the Hindu scriptures. Usually the singing is followed by a short explanation of the scripture.

I was also sitting in this circle, munching on what I think were fried chicken feet. In the picture you can see the guy on the left passing a microphone. It wasn't long until they had passed the microphone to me and asked me to sing something! I was a bit surprised by the invitation and said I needed a minute to choose my song. I quickly realized that I didn't know any songs in Indonesian that were appropriate for that occasion. So I broke out in a Balinese styled version of Amazing Grace in English. I was pretty nervous... Then they asked me for the explanation, and I gave a quick description of what is so amazing about grace.

Here's a link to an older post that will give you an example of what the singing sounds like, click here. It's funny to hear my Indonesian back in those days...

On the Edge

     A few things about Kaelen... she is smiling and goofy and silly all the time, EXCEPT for when anyone is taking a picture.  Then she...