Tuesday, December 02, 2008
Away in a Manger accompanied by Hindu Chanting
We put up our Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving. We tried our best to get in the Christmas spirit, even with the hot temperatures and lack of any visual cues. Away in a Manger came on about the same time that a priest from one of the area temples started into a song from the Ramayana. It was a weird combination.
Late that night, I wanted to record the singing. So I went to the usual spot that this kind of singing takes place. The large temple close to our house was empty, so I followed the voice down the street to a temple that is being renovated. About 40 men were sitting around talking, drinking coffee, and listening to the songs from the Ramayana. The language in this song is an old language that no one understands, except for priests and temple workers.
It didn't take long for them to notice the white guy standing around the outskirts of the temple with a little recorder. After explaining what I was doing, they quickly and happily escorted me to sit beside the man singing. I was served tea and enjoyed my front row seat. So this is some of the song, followed by a small part of our conversation afterwards. We basically talked about what he was singing about and the fact that very few people can understand what he is saying. As I left, they invited me to come and sit around with them. A man named Wayan told me, "We are here every night from 8-10pm, except for when it is raining."
I went out in search of a recording, but ended up finding lots of new friends... and a recording.
Enjoy!
On the Edge
A few things about Kaelen... she is smiling and goofy and silly all the time, EXCEPT for when anyone is taking a picture. Then she...
-
The military stationed in and around our city recently put some of their equipment and vehicles on display at the local park. Interest...
-
A few things about Kaelen... she is smiling and goofy and silly all the time, EXCEPT for when anyone is taking a picture. Then she...