I was heading to a friend's wedding reception in the mountains. I was on the motorbike, and I was needing to a break for some lunch. I stopped by one of my favorite bakso mobile food stalls for a bite to eat (Bakso deserves a whole separate post, I will work on that soon, you can click here if you need to know what it is sooner than that).
There are wild monkeys in the trees near this food stall. You have to be careful not to put anything down (keys, phone, bag), because the monkeys will take it. It was a hot day, and I was thirsty. I got a water and quickly finished about 3/4 of it. After digging into some bakso, I went to finish off the water... and it was gone!
I spotted the guilty party. It was a monkey sitting about 20 feet away from me. He was holding my water, just relaxing. He casually opened up the bottle, and took long, slow sips while looking at me out of the corner of his eye. I'm not sure if he was looking at me because he was afraid I was going to try and reclaim my water or if he was trying to taunt me :o)
So when in Bali, be careful not to leave items unattended.
For those keeping score at home, the score is monkeys 2 - Jon 0. The first item taken was a pair of Kristi's glasses.
