 |
| That's not snow... |
Last week we were seeing all kinds of pictures from friends in America with scenes of snow, ice, and sleet. Everything was blanketed with a nice layer of white. Here in Indonesia there was a different blanket of white that wasn't so nice...
I was traveling two weeks ago to Java, another island in Indonesia. About five days after leaving via the Yogyakarta airport, we saw reports on TV and also got news from friends about the situation in Java...
 |
| Yogyakarta Airport |
A volcano erupted to the east of where I had been staying in Java. It shot out dust that affected a large part of the island. Three major airports were closed, Yogyakarta (the one I flew out of), Semarang, and Solo, and even flights at about 5 other airports were cancelled.
My friend, Ahmad, from Java sent me a text saying that the ash in the town I had been staying was about 4 inches thick.
The ash was a minor disruption compared to the thousands of people that had to be evacuated from their homes around the area of Mount Kelud.