Sunday, May 04, 2008

Dead Ducks and Dog Meat

There are some friends of ours here who come from the far western part of Indonesia. Their people are famous for EATING anything that has four legs, even tables if their boiled long enough (It sounds funnier in Indonesian). They regularly eat dog meat, and during a conversation one day I told him I wouldn't mind giving dog meat a try. The next day he was at my house with some specially prepared daging anjing (dog meat). I ate it, trying to navigate my way through the bones and skin. Surprisingly, it wasn't that bad...

You may have read about Nenek from some earlier posts. She is the great grandmother of Jaiden's friend Ogik. We love her even though we really can't communicate with her. She mostly only speaks Balinese and doesn't understand much Indonesian. So, there is a big ceremony tomorrow down the street for our friend's baby. He will be 42 days old and can leave the house compound for the first time. Well, I just got back from down there (3:00am EST), and I saw Nenek kill a chicken and a bird. I have been hunting and fishing before, but that could not have prepared me for what I just saw. I almost lost my lunch! The blood will be used for the ceremony tomorrow and she wanted me to watch it pouring out... All the teenage guys down there were saying that Nenek was braver than they were. Here's a picture of Nenek with her usual expression:

My friends told me, while laughing at me for not being able to help with the slaughtering, not to worry about the duck. Because he will be reincarnated as a human in his next life because he was used for a ceremony...

On the Edge

     A few things about Kaelen... she is smiling and goofy and silly all the time, EXCEPT for when anyone is taking a picture.  Then she...