Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Remembering

   Kristi and I recently attended a friend's wedding.  I happened to sit down beside a very interesting lady.  She was 85 years old.  About 70 years ago, her husband "kidnapped" her from her parents' house so that he could marry (he wasn't technically allowed to marry her since she came from a lower caste, so a "kidnapping" marriage was the only culturally appropriate way to let true love win).
   She also remembers when Japan occupied Indonesia during World War 2.  She told me stories about the Japanese soldiers that would come into her elementary school.  They would have to salute the Japanese officers and the Japanese flag.
   Her grandkids told me that she was the prettiest girl in the village back when she was young.  I asked her if this was true.  She just smiled...

On the Edge

     A few things about Kaelen... she is smiling and goofy and silly all the time, EXCEPT for when anyone is taking a picture.  Then she...