Friday, July 18, 2014

Incredibly Scary

I'm used to driving about 40-60 kph.  On a really good, straight road in Bali without a lot of traffic, I could get crazy and go as high as 80 kph.  For your reference, 80 kilometers per hour is the same as 49 miles per hour.

   This picture was taken about 5 minutes after I started driving on American roads.  If you look close, you can see the fear in my eyes.  It was really scary.  Driving in Bali is done with the assumption that at any time, a car, motorbike, child, or dog will pull/run out right in front of you.  That's one of the reasons why people drive slow.  So it was pretty hard for me to go much faster than 49mph.  I'm pretty sure the cars passing me on that first day in America were going 75-80 mph. 

   I would like to apologize to all the people on highway 101 in California that had to dodge the car going 49 mph.

On the Edge

     A few things about Kaelen... she is smiling and goofy and silly all the time, EXCEPT for when anyone is taking a picture.  Then she...