The start of the World Cup is only 10 days away. Here in Indo, it's a huge deal. Most TV channels have had a little countdown in the top corner of the screen for the last couple of months.
In many areas of town, people will put up big flags of the countries which they support. Nobody really supports Indonesia because Indonesia is not playing in this year's World Cup, and it hasn't played in a World Cup since 1938 where it only played one game in which it lost 6-0 to Hungary.
I was here for the run-up to the 2010 World Cup too, and I have never, ever seen anyone flying an American flag to show their support for the Yanks. Usually it's the normal favorites like Germany, Brazil, Italy, England, Netherlands, France, etc. But this year, just a couple of weeks ago, I saw the Red White and Blue not far from our house.
It was a big deal. I got out and started taking pictures. I think it shows how far the US national team has come...
Seeing that flag inspired me to believe that we just might even be able to survive our group of death with Portugal and Germany. But just two days ago, I drove down this street and guess what? The big American flag got replaced by an even bigger German flag. Good feelings gone...
