
I thought Pak Kumis said they would have to dig a new septic tank for our house... right beside our new well! I was very opposed to the idea, but I had a feeling that I wasn't quite understanding what he meant... Here's why:
There is something very interesting about this group of four guys that is working on the well. Three of them are originally from the island of Java, and one is from Sumatra. Usually this means that they will speak Indonesian to each other. However, when they were speaking to each other and to me, I found it very difficult to understand them. There were lots of words that I didn't understand.
The reason I couldn't understand them fully is because they were speaking Balinese with lots of a Javanese dialect mixed in. I have never met a group of Balinese speaking non-Balinese guys before (if that makes any sense).
So after I figured out that they were speaking a different language, I started to learn some words from their mixed up Javanese-Balinese language.
I also figured out that he didn't want to put a septic tank beside our new well, he was just using the word for 'septic tank' to refer to a temporary water reservoir. The water from this reservoir is pumped up through a hose and down into the well, the water then circulates back up the well and through the little channel, carrying the dirt and sediment out of the bore.