![]() |
I met this guy on the side of the road about a month ago in a town on the west side of Bali. He was rolling by me on his really old wheelchair, and I jumped out to talk with him. He told me that he was traveling around Indonesia, using his wheelchair for some stretches of the trip.
His wheelchair looked like it was made around the turn of the century, so I told him when he passed through Denpasar to give me a call and we'd see if Access Life could provide him with a new wheelchair.
I got the call from him today, and I went to pick him up at the bus station. We gave him a new wheelchair, and he was really thankful for it. In all honesty, he was quite an odd individual, but I enjoyed spending a couple of hours with him. He showed us letters that he had received from mayors, governors, and police chiefs during his travels.
Later on, I saw a link to a news article about him. You can click here for the link, but it's in Indonesian. So I just plugged it into google translate (which means it's not a great translation) for you to read in English below:
Wheelchair tour of Indonesia with
Monday, January 25, 2010 20:20
Intent to making - limited conditions does not reduce the morale Simon Sundoro (45), round Indonesian Jember to residents using wheelchairs. In limited circumstances because of his legs paralyzed, he did not want to lose with a healthy person to do his obsession.
Simon, who traveled around Indonesia since November 2002, two days ago arrived in Malang City Hall. Alone, the father of four children, was pedaling his wheelchair by hand to achieve Malang City Hall, after the previous day in Stone Town. His obsession around Indonesia to Asia as a form of peace to convey the aspirations of mankind.
"I've been around Indonesia and the middle East. Now I will go to Indonesia to continue to tour the western part of Indonesia. The goal is only one to deliver peace, "said Simon to the Malang Post, yesterday.
According to his confession, the Middle East and Indonesia have been explored. Evidenced by the number of letters issued when officials came disinggahinya cities. Most travel is done within a wheelchair.
Demonstrated the letters came from the mayor or governor in areas disinggahinya. A letter exists from Salatiga, governor of East Java, Surabaya mayor, Klaten, and others.
"Not all the way I browse for a wheelchair. There also I took the bus and its plan of Malang, I am going to Jakarta by train. From the station, I will be traveling in a wheelchair again to Indonesia, "he said.
On his way, police office and the police has always been jujugan him to rest. So he is always secure when resting. Occasionally he is staying at the inn for just a shower and rest. "Every day I just wash my face more of it," he explained.
Simon admitted that many offices are not equipped with a special road for people with disabilities like herself, as in legislative offices and city hall. In some offices, because there are people with disabilities road facilities, then people like himself could enter easily.
Like when he was at City Hall and the DPRD Malang Malang, Simon just wait outside, because there is no access for people with disabilities seems.
"For me to bring the spirit of peace for personal, family and others. If he was not peaceful, how to give peace to others, "he said claiming disability since 1992 and, due to an accident on the truck, which he in Jatiroto. (AIM / lim)
