***Animal rights activists and animal lovers please do not continue reading this post***
When I was out spending the night in the village a couple of weeks ago, it was getting towards the end of our day, and I was assuming that the family we were staying with did not have the money to feed me, Pak Ronald, and Pak Nyoman.
There is no KFC, McDonald's, or even a warung (little restaurant) anywhere near the village we were in. So I asked where I could get some chicken, and I was directed to a nearby chicken house. I requested two chickens and then bargained pretty hard until the price got down to 65,000 rupiah for both (about $7.00). Apparently I had to pay extra because they were both still capable of laying eggs.
As they were "preparing" the chicken for dinner, they kept on asking me to help out. I politely declined...
For all of you people that wonder about food preparation and hygiene, let's just say that the same chopping block on which the chicken was feathered and cut up, was the same one they used to chop up the spices and vegetables. The chopping block was not cleaned in between the dead chicken and the vegetables, and the vegetables were served raw.
Often times, you just have to eat whatever you are given and trust God to take care of the bacteria...