When you're offered something in Indonesia, the polite thing to do is say "no thanks" several times before actually accepting, eating, drinking whatever it is that is offered. This was really hard for me to get used to...
This also makes it hard when friends come over to our house and actually don't want anything to drink. We're never really sure if they just don't want anything to drink or if they're just being polite. We have to ask them several times and then Kristi usually comes in with an extra "pasti?" just to make sure I asked enough times (pasti means something like "for sure, certainly").
I had to say all that to make this quick story make sense...
The first time I went up to a small village in Jembrana, some kids climbed a coconut tree and we were served coconut milk. It was awesome.
The second time I went up to the same village, I was offered the coconuts again. I offered my obligatory, "tidak, terima kasih" (no thanks), then after that a "sudah kenyang, tidak usah" (I'm already full, don't trouble yourself). While saying this, I was totally hoping they would ask me again a third time. But, there was a delay! No third offer! I was bummed...
But it only took a minute or two until another offer came, and I said the Indonesian equivalent of, "Well... if you insist". After just a couple of minutes, we were sipping on the cool coconut milk.