Up in the mountains of Bali, strawberries are able to be grown during certain parts of the year. It is about an hour drive from our house to get to the markets at Bedugul. We were recently passing by there and stopped to pick up some strawberries. The season is just winding down, so the price is going up a little.
But I was still trying to buy them for the lower price and was bargaining more than usual (I am normally a softy when it comes to negotiating prices). However, the lady I was bargaining with was just as determined. Because we live here and speak the language we usually pay less than the white person price (harga bule), but we have to bargain really hard to get down to the local price (harga lokal).
I ended up paying more for these strawberries than I wanted to, but she threw in an extra pack to sweeten the deal. Just in case you're wondering, I paid 17,000 rupiah for a big pack (about $1.60).