Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Upacara Day!


On the morning of a big upacara (ceremony), all the men will gather and make a whole bunch of lawar. Lawar is basically pig meat, cartilage, and other unidentifiable things all mixed up together with spices. Before it is served, pig or duck blood is poured over it.

Here's the thing. The food is prepared at about 5:30am and then it sits until after the ceremony and is eaten at around 4:00pm. That's almost 12 hours in 90 degree weather. I guess it just adds to the flavor!

I wish I liked it, but I don't really enjoy lawar. They even make it "white" for us sometimes (no blood), but it still just doesn't do it for me.

On the Edge

     A few things about Kaelen... she is smiling and goofy and silly all the time, EXCEPT for when anyone is taking a picture.  Then she...