Monday, June 16, 2008

A long journey



A little bit of a background story to this picture: we had been driving for a while and saw a sign for a waterfall. I asked Gede if he wanted to try and find it. He said sure... Wayan said she didn't mind going either. You never know what that means because she always says that, and we usually are concentrating so hard on what is being said in Indonesian that we don't pick up on the body language. So, unsure that they even wanted to try it, I decided to go for it.


None of us had eaten lunch at this point, and the only lunch that awaited us later on at a village was a bowl of bakso (this is the cheapest meal you can find. it's about 20 cents for some flour-chicken things with some rice chunk stuff all in a broth). Some people love it, many foreigners hate it.

But I was just excited that we were going for a hike, and then it struck me at this point that I had no clue if this was a normal activity for our Balinese friends. A hike probably was not the best term for it. It was more like a descent. It was one of the tougher hikes I've done (and I've done Angel's Landing at Zion National Park in Utah). It was straight down into a steep, deep valley with slippery cement stairs. On the way back up, we were literally crawling up the stairs. It was exhausting and it lasted for a couple of hours, way more than we had imagined.

But I think in the end, despite all of the pain, hunger, and tiredness, we figured out that Gede and Wayan really did enjoy it.

On the Edge

     A few things about Kaelen... she is smiling and goofy and silly all the time, EXCEPT for when anyone is taking a picture.  Then she...